Saturday, August 22, 2009

Baby Bow Tie Hat - Knitted in the Round



I used sport weight acrylic yarn at a gauge of 5.5 stitches per inch.
You will also need a 16 inch circular needle and double pointed needles.

With sport weight yarn and size US4, 16 inch cable needle (that's the size I used) cast on 72 stitches, join and knit in the round for about 1.25 inches (this makes the roll edge). Then work 7 ridges or 14 rows of garter stitch (in the round you will knit 1 round then purl the next, repeat those 2 rounds). Afterwards, knit every row until the piece measures 3.5 inches from the rolled edge (leave it rolled). Change to double point needles and work decreases for the top as follows:

Rnd 1 - K7, K2tog around
Rnd 2 - knit
Rnd 3 - K6, K2tog around
Rnd 4 - knit
Rnd 5 - K5, K2tog around
Rnd 6 - knit
Rnd 7 - K4, K2tog around
Rnd 8 - knit
Rnd 9 - K3, K2tog around
Rnd 10 - knit
Rnd 11- K2, K2tog around
Rnd 12 - K1, K2tog around
Rnd 13 - K2tog around

There are now 8 stitches left. Divide them in half, placing 4 stitches on each of two DPN's. Working on one needle of 4 stitches, K1, K2tog, K1 - 3 stitches. Now work an I-cord on these three stitches for 7 inches. Repeat this I-chord process on the other needle. Weave in the tails and tie the I-cords into a bow.

10 comments:

  1. This is so adorable. I love the bow on top. Thank you for sharing this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to print this hat pattern and can't find the print option. Anyone else have this problem?
      thanks, Sharon

      Delete
    2. Sharon.. there is no print option. If you wish to print it out, you'll have to right click your mouse, select all that you wish to keep, click copy then paste it into a Word program. Then you can print it from there. Sorry, but I'm not that computer savvy. Hope this helps.
      Janice

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your pattern. I have a new grandbaby coming in May and will make this for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this pattern as part of a 40 preemie hats in 40 days project for lent, and my children constantly pull it out of my basket and declare it their favorite! Thank you for sharing this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want you to kiss everyone of those children and tell them that except for my grandbabies... they are MY favorites! What a beautiful idea to incorporate into a 40 days of projects for lent. God Bless

      Delete
  4. I found your pattern on Ravelry & absolutely love it. I just finished making one for my newest niece who was born a week ago, it was a very quick project & turned out lovely, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELP!! I am working on this pattern (Baby Bow Tie Hat) which I love & I am also a beginner knitter. I have knitted one I-chord - do I bind off and after that how do I start the 2nd I-chord? I amank so confused.

    Thanks,
    Cathy Cray
    artiecray@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, you just bind off the 4 stitch I-cord that you've completed. Then put those other 4 stitches at the bottom of that first I-cord on a DPN, right side facing you, and attach the yarn and knit a second I-cord. I'm so happy that you love the hat :)
      Janice

      Delete
  6. How sweet! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete