Saturday, September 4, 2010

Side to Side Sweater

Let's see if I can make this clear -

This sweater measures 48 inches around and is a tunic length (29 inches). I used 4 different colors/kinds of yarn, in worsted weights. I think, for my own aesthetics, I would have preferred 5 different colors. Use however many you like. You will need a total of about 1850 yards of these varying yarns. I used cotton blends and included one handpainted yarn that contained a metallic strand.

GAUGE:
5.25 stitches and 8.66 rows equals 1 inch.
Note: This row gauge is based upon a stripe pattern that is randomly alternated between varying rows of stockinette stitch and garter stitch. I never worked more than 6 rows StSt or 6 rows of garter at a time. I did the color stripes randomly on the back and then duplicated it for the front. I also matched the sleeves to each other with equal striping. This is your choice. Doing each piece randomly and differently from each other would be interesting, too. There is room for experimenting and surprise in this pattern.... Enjoy!

BACK:
CO 152 stitches and work your stripe/stitch pattern for a total of 208 rows OR 24 inches. BO all stitches

FRONT:
CO 152 stitches and work your stripe/stitch pattern for 69 rows OR 8 inches (left front shoulder complete). Neck shaping: With RS facing, continuing in your stripe pattern, Dec 1 stitch at the beginning of the next 5 RS rows and at the end of the next 5 WS rows (10 decreases - 142 stitches - left neck "slope"). Continue in the stripe pattern for 50 rows. Neck shaping: With RS facing, and keeping to the stripe pattern, Inc 1 stitch at the beginning of the next 5 RS rows and at the end of the next 5 WS rows. (10 increases made - 152 stitches - right neck "slope" - left neck slope to the right neck slope is 8 inches). Work 69 more rows OR 8 inches to complete the right shoulder, for a total of 24 inches. BO all stitches.

SLEEVES: (do I have to say make 2?)
CO 52 stitches. I did work 6 rows (or 3 ridges) of garter stitch for a nice edge. Continuing in the stripe/stitch pattern, Inc 1 st on each side every 2nd row 3 times. Then Inc 1 st on each side every 4th row 29 times until there are 116 stitches and sleeve measures 15 inches long (or the length you need). BO all stitches. Weave in all the tails (yikes!).

Sew the shoulders together. Center sleeves to the shoulder seam and sew onto body, then sew the side seams. Since I used almost all of my yarn supply, I added a crocheted picot edge around the neck opening to finish it off... If I had enough yarn I think a soft, cowl neck would have been nice. Leave the bottom of your sweater plain or you may also choose to finish off the bottom edge of the body with a row of single crochet or a crocheted picot edge or any edge of your choice.

I hope this makes sense.

Bible verse for today:
"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong." I Cor. 16:13

1 comment:

  1. I love the sweater-I may show it too Granny-bet she could make one.

    ReplyDelete