Sunday, March 6, 2011

Do I Really Have Time For A New Hobby?

Okay, maybe I've been too involved in cheese, coffee and knitting, guitar pickin' and genealogy to have heard of this (it's only 10 years old) but I've recently discovered this little Treasure Hunting game called Geocaching. Using GPS co-ordinates one treks through forests or urban settings looking for little stashes of dollar store goodies tucked away in ammo canisters or Tupperware. This also entails keeping a log and if you really want to do it up right, you join up at www.geocaching.com and log your finds and hides on that 'official' site. Did I forget to mention you can hide those Tupperware boxes full of goodies, too? Yes, I signed up... my ID is 'sticksandstrings' - a thinly veiled reference to knitting AND guitar playing. Anyway, it sounds like a nice way to take a hike, especially with the little kids in tow. After all what kid doesn't want to look for Treasure?! The one problem with this whole GPS thing is.... I have, since my dad got one in his car, eschewed the whole navigation by satellite thing by reminding all, who don't really care what I think, to USE A MAP! But apparently, the coordinates for caches are necessary to help you find them. So, I guess I'll be on the hunt to purchase a GPS thingy...... But I'll still consult Rand McNally when traveling by car!

Bible Verse for Tonight:

"Because of the tender mercy of our God, with which the Sunrise from on high will visit us, to shine upon those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.” Luke 1:78-79

1 comment:

  1. Oh I've always wanted to try that! It sounds so fun and adventurous : )

    ReplyDelete