Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Potholder Loops Knitted Bucket



It is beyond me why those lovely people who make the little loopy loops, that can be woven on looms into potholders by children of all ages, make them too SMALL to reach across the looms?!  Confronted with a bag (three quarters full) of just such useless loops I was about to just throw the bunch away when enlightenment hit me and they were saved..... You know that saying... when life gives you inadequate loops, make loom-enade!


I  looped them into each other until I had quite a nice little ball o'stringy stuff.


Actually, at first I thought to crochet them, but this 'yarn' is quite bulky and a bit unruly (very stretchy - too bad it wouldn't stretch to the loom) and decided for the knitting needles, instead.  So after looping up just the white loops, I cast on a few stitches (size US17 needles) and garter stitched till it ran out - of course, saving enough at the end for a bind off.


A very nice little trivet ... see.....   (I think it too hole-y to, actually, hand-hold a pot, leaving me with the possibility of burn't fingers)  but it will make a nice mug rug!  And I left a little loop on the corner for my hanging convenience.


Moving on... I then looped up all the colored loops (so pretty in pastels).


  I looped the colors, randomly, see how pretty that ball is?


Following the pattern below, I made this little bucket.  Working with this was a bit daunting as it does have all those little knotty bits where the loops are joined, so keep it loose but even so, this is not for the weak of hand.  I was working up a sweat making it!


Bottom's Up!  I did do a Disappearing Loop Cast On (or watch a video) using a worsted weight acrylic waste yarn for the loop, itself, as I thought the knots would interfere with pulling the center closed.  



Whatcha think???

Potholder Loops Knitted Bucket

A ball of prepared Potholder Loops
Needles – US11 DPNs

Cast on 6 and distribute evenly over 3 of the needles and joining to form a round….(mark the beginning of the round)
Knit into the front and back of each stitch (12 stitches total)
Next rnd:  (K1, K into front and back of next stitch) 6X  (18 stitches total)
Next rnd:  (K2, K into front and back of next stitch) 6X  (24 stitches total)
Next rnd:  (K3, K into front and back of next stitch) 6X  (30 stitches total)
Next rnd:  (K4, K into front and back of next stitch) 6X  (36 stitches total)
Next rnd:  (K5, K into front and back of next stitch) 6X  (42 stitches total)
Continue knitting around for 3 or 4 rnds. 
Next rnd:  Decrease over this round by 3 stitches evenly spaced across the round (39 stitches total)
Continue knitting around for 3 or 4 rnds.  At this time, if you wish (I did), decrease 3 stitches evenly spaced over the next round, otherwise/and/or just continue to knit until you only have enough loop yarn to bind off. 
Bind off and weave in the ends.  TaDa!

Bible Verse for Tonight:
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us."  2 Corinthians 4:7


1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh this is so cool!! I too have a bag of loopy things that too short for the loom!! I shall dig them out and make my very own little "bucket of loom" thank you
    Kay

    ReplyDelete